Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pumpkin-Orange Bread

I'm back! Although I may have seemed to disappear off the face of the earth these past few weeks, exams are done now and I have the time to tell you all about the delicious things I've been making. Starting with this pumpkin bread:

This was one of the most aggravating recipes I have ever made, mostly because it was in metric and I don't have a scale, so I had to use the internet to convert all the measurements into cups and spoons. But also because the recipe says that it will make one 9x5 loaf of bread, and as you can see from the picture, it makes a lot more than that. So as I was adding ingredients and watching my biggest bread bowl nearly start to overflow, I was convinced that I had converted incorrectly and was going to end up with a great deal of inedible slop.

Happily when I opened the oven an hour later, I found a delicious moist bread waiting for me inside. The end.

Orange Pumpkin Loaf

1 large orange
125 grams butter (1/2 cup)
445 grams white sugar (2 ¼ cups, or 2 cups packed brown sugar)
3 eggs
410 grams canned pumpkin (I used a large can of pumpkin - possibly 425 ml)
130 ml water (1/2 cup)
415 grams all-purpose flour (3 ¼ cups)
8 grams baking soda (2 tsp)
4 grams baking powder (1 tsp)
8 grams salt (1/2 tsp)
2 grams cinnamon (1 tsp)
2 grams cloves (1 tsp)
100 grams walnuts


Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease 3 9x5 inch loaf pans.

Cut a whole orange into wedges and remove seeds. In a food processor or blender, pulse the orange (peel and all) until pur
éed.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the pumpkin, water, and the orange purée. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir into batter just until moistened. Mix in nuts. Pour into the prepared loaf pans.

Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

No comments: