Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Coady

I haven't tried this yet, but I thought I would post it. I read about "Coady" sauce in the newspaper and googled it to find out what it is. It's a Newfoundland thing and I thought I'd share it.

If anyone tries it first, let me know how it tastes!


Figgy Duff

“Figgy” refers to the raisins and “Duff” refers to the dough mixture.

2 cups breadcrumbs
1 cup raisins
1 tsp. baking soda
tbsp. hot water
¼ cup butter, melted
½ cup flour
½ cup molasses
1 tsp each of ginger, allspice & cinnamon


To make breadcrumbs soak dry bread in enough water to soften. Drain and squeeze bread to remove excess water. Break into crumbs and measure 2 cups. Mix crumbs, raisins, molasses and melted butter. Them combine baking soda and water to crumb mixture. Mix well. Grease 4-cup molds and pour pudding into the mold. Cover top with a piece of greased foil and fold over the sides of the mold to keep steam out. Place molds in a large pot and add boiling water till it reaches the halfway mark on the molds. Cover and steam for 2 hours or until firm to touch. Serve with Molasses Coady (below).

Molasses Coady

1 cup molasses
¼ cup butter
¼ cup water

In a saucepan, combine ingredients. Heats to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Serve over Figgy Duff.

1 comment:

Coady said...

Haha awesome! I have to make this.