Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Double crust Pie Dough

Here is my Mom's Pie Dough Recipe, unlike her I will tell you the secret  on how to get it nice and flakey and tender. I took me about 4 years to get that out of her.

  • 2 cups sifted flower
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2/3 cup shortning
Mix the flour and salt in a bowl
Flour and salt

(here is the seceret part)
Water and flour paste
Take 1/4 cup of this flour and mix it with the 1/3 cup of warter to form a paste, set aside.











Yes that is a dime for size
 Using a pastry cutter cut in the 2/3 cup of shortning, until 1/4 inch peices










 mix in the paste ( I find my hand works best) to form
a ball.











Cut in half for a double crust, I try to make it just a little larger than half for the bottom crust as you need just a little more.


Flatten slightly on a floured surface,
and roll out to the desired thickness










to cover the bottom of the pie plate.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I love secrets....I have to try this one.
:)